Josh helped me make dinner this week and it turned out to be a huge success. Here are the recipes we used:
Sharon: I like to make 3x or 4x more sauce then they suggest and then I fry up some Chinese rice noodles to add the crisp on top like Changs does it.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup water chestnut
- 2/3 cup mushroom
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4-5 leaves iceberg lettuce
- Bring oil to high heat in a wok or large frying pan.
Saute chicken breasts for 4 to 5 minutes per side or done.
Remove chicken from the pan and cool.
Keep oil in the pan, keep hot.
As chicken cools mince water chestnuts and mushrooms to about the size of small peas.
Prepare the stir fry sauce by mixing the soy sauce, brown sugar, and rice vinegar together in a small bowl.
When chicken is cool, mince it as the mushrooms and water chestnuts are.
With the pan still on high heat, add another Tbsp of vegetable oil.
Add chicken, garlic, onions, water chestnuts and mushrooms to the pan.
Add the stir fry sauce to the pan and saute the mixture for a couple minutes then serve it in the lettuce"cups".
- 6 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion (optional) SHARON: I added like a cup and a half, but I like onion.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- black pepper to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 20 egg roll wrappers
- vegetable oil for frying
- In a large bowl, mix together cabbage, carrots, sprouts, celery, and onion. Stir in soy sauce, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Pour beaten egg into a skillet placed over medium heat; cook flat and thin, flipping once, until done. Remove from skillet, cool, and chop finely. Stir egg into cabbage mixture. Sprinkle top with cornstarch, mix, and allow to sit 10 minutes.
- Mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water. Set aside.
- Place 2 or 3 tablespoons of the shrimp mixture into the center of an egg roll skin. Dip a spoon into the water and cornstarch mixture, and moisten all corners but the bottom corner. Fold the egg roll skin from the bottom over the mixture, making a tight tube of the shrimp mixture. Fold corners in from the sides, and press to stick against folded roll. Then roll the rest of the way. Repeat with remaining egg roll wrappers.
- Pour vegetable oil into a deep frying pan to a depth of 3 or 4 inches, and heat oil to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Carefully place egg rolls into hot oil, and fry until golden brown. Remove to paper towels.